NYC Honorary Street Names

"T" Honorary Streets: Queens

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 
Teddy White Place (Queens)
Present name:57th Street
Location:Between 30th Avenue and 31st Avenue
Honoree: Firefighter Teddy White (b. 1971) was a member of Engine Company 230 in Brooklyn. On September 11, 2001 he and the members of Engine Company 230 responded to the emergency brought on by the attacks on the World Trade Center. While attempting to save lives, he died in the collapse of the twin towers.
LL:2001/ 71
Terence McShane Boulevard FDNY/NYPD (Queens)
Present name:Beach 94th Street
Location:between Holland Avenue and Rockaway Beach Boulevard
Honoree: Terence McShane (b. 1964) was a New York City police officer for 12 years before becoming a firefighter with the NYFD. He died on September 11, 2001, during fire and rescue operations following the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center.
LL:2004/08
The Ecumenical Patriarchs' Way (Queens)
Present name:23rd Avenue
Location:36th Street and 37th Street
Honoree: Location of the Greek Orthodox Monastery of Saint Irene, which in 1998 was proclaimed as one of the Sacred Patriarchal Monasteries of the Ecumenical Throne and is under the direct jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople.
LL:1999/11
The Honorable Gloria D’ Amico Place (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:At the intersection of 21st Drive and Shore Boulevard
Honoree: Gloria D’ Amico (d. 2010) was Queens County Clerk for 19 years, the first woman ever to hold that position. Under her guidance the county became the first in the city to implement a jury duty call-in system making it easier for potential jurors to find out if they had to serve. Among her many community activities, she served on the board of Sharing and Caring, an agency providing support for women with breast cancer. (Vallone)
LL:2012/131
The One Room Schoolhouse Park (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:Park at 90th St and Astoria Blvd
Honoree: This park was the site of the last one-room school house in Queens. It was built in 1879 when the surrounding area was rural and sparsely settled. It had a capacity of 52 students, divided into six classes, one for each year. In 1925 the original building was closed, but a temporary schoolhouse on the site was still in use when the property was acquired by the Parks Department in 1934.
LL:1996/46
The Ramblersville-Hawtree memorial Bridge (Queens)
Present name:102nd Street Lenihan’s Bridge
Location:Between 160th Avenue and 163rd Avenue
Honoree: The 102nd Street-Lenihan Bridge, opened in 1931, was originally named in honor of a then State Assemblyman. This new designation honors seven young men from the area who died in World War II: Tom Beckwith, Henry Schmitt, Albert Nelson, Edward O’Reilly, Walter Meliere, Paul Pfeiffer and James Talley, all of whom lived within 500 feet of this bridge.
LL:2001/ 71
THE RAMONES WAY (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:At the intersection of 67th Avenue and 110th Street in front of the main entrance of Forest Hills High School
Honoree: This co-naming honors the legendary punk rock band The Ramones. Formed in 1974, the original lineup consisted of John Cummings (Johnny Ramone), Jeffrey Hyman (Joey Ramone), Douglas Colvin (Dee Dee Ramone) and Thomas Erdelyi (Tommy Ramone). All four of the original members had attended Forest Hills High School. The Ramones are often cited as one of the original pioneers of the punk rock sound and were a major influence on the 1970’s punk movement in the United States and Great Britain. (Koslowitz)
LL:2016/92
The Walter Ward Playground (Queens)
Present name:Rockwood Playground
Location:Bounded by 160th Ave b/w 88th St and 89th St
Honoree: Walter Ward (1911-1994) served 12 consecutive terms on the New York City Council (1968 to 1993) representing the Rockaways, Ozone Park and neighboring areas of southeast Queens. Ward had founded an outdoor advertising company but sold the business in 1971 to concentrate on his legislative duties. Concerned for the environment, he served as chair of the Committee on Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs. He campaigned for clean beaches and against airport noise.
LL:1995/4
Theresa Crawford Way (Queens)
Present name:Holly Avenue
Location:Between Kissena Boulevard and 137th Place
Honoree: Theresa Crawford (1909-1990) was a longtime community leader in Flushing. She was president of the Holly Civic Association and served on the board of the Franconia House. As a member of the P.S. 24 Mothers Club she helped to get it crossing guards, a library and a new wing.
LL:2003/34
Thomas J. Ashton Way (Queens)
Present name:47th Avenue
Location:Northwest corner of the intersection of 47th Avenue and 60th Street
Honoree: Thomas J. Ashton (b. 1979) was an electrician assigned that day to work at the World Trade Center. He was killed in the terrorist attack of September, 11 2001.
LL:2003/ 06
Thomas J. Shubert Avenue 9-11-01 (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:Intersection of 127th Street and 11th Avenue
Honoree: Thomas Shubert (1958-2001), an employee of Cantor Fitzgerald was killed in the attack on the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001.
LL:2006/50
Thomas White, Jr. Blvd. (Queens)
Present name:Sutphin Boulevard
Location:Between Foch Boulevard and 114th Avenue
Honoree: Thomas White Jr. (1939-2010) was a long-time member of the New York City Council representing the 28th District in Queens. He was also co-founder and executive director of J-CAP, one of the largest substance abuse treatment programs in the state.
LL:2011/47
Thomas X. Winberry Way (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:Intersection of Metropolitan Avenue and Ascan Avenue
Honoree: Thomas X. Winberry, who served 20-years with the NYPD, was Commander of the American Legion Continental Post 1424 in Forest Hills. He was instrumental in the transfer of historic Remsen Park from Legion ownership to the NYC Parks Department.
LL:2012/14
Tony Mazzarella Way (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:At the intersection of 2nd Street and Borden Avenue
Honoree: Anthony Mazzarella, who died in 2015, was a boxing enthusiast as well as a dedicated fundraiser for people with cancer. He owned the Crab House restaurant, known for its seafood and for its sports and boxing memorabilia. He donated to the precinct council, which used such donations to feed and clothe the homeless and also donated food for various events. He was a member of the New York State Boxing Commission, the NY State Wine and Grape Foundation, and the American Cancer Society Queens Division. He founded the Patty Fund for Childhood Cancer to help families with the financial burdens of medical bills. He started an annual Fourth of July block party that raised thousands of dollars for cancer patients, and also hosted a Christmas party for kids with cancer. He was honored with the American Cancer Society’s St. George Medal, its highest award for service and leadership in the fight against cancer. (Van Bramer)
LL:2017/45
Transit Police Officer Thomas R. O'Dea Place (Queens)
Present name:None
Location:Intersection of 9th Avenue and 151st Place
Honoree: Thomas R. O’Dea (1962-2004) served with the NYPD for over19.years. When the World Trade Center disaster occurred on September 11, 2001, he dug and searched for survivors during the first 40 days. He was so determined that he checked into a hotel so that he could spend as much time as possible helping to sort through the rubble. Shortly after this he was diagnosed with cancer and died of the disease on June 7, 2004.
LL:2004/63


Contact | © 2005-2017 by Gilbert Tauber