NYC Honorary Street Names

"V" Honorary Streets: Manhattan

# A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z 
V.A. Hospital Way (Manhattan)
Present name:First Avenue
Location:between East 23rd Street and East 25th Street
Honoree: The Manhattan Veterans Administration Hospital is a 166-bed center affiliated with the New York University Medical Center. It is the home of all VA cardiac and neurosurgical care in the New York area.
LL:2004/63
Valerie M. Orridge, R.N. Way (Manhattan)
Present name:None
Location:Northeast corner of 139th Street and Malcolm X Boulevard
Honoree: Valerie Marie Orridge (1932-2017), a registered nurse for 50 years, was born in Harlem Hospital in 1932 and was trained at the Harlem Hospital School of Nursing. She went on to earn a B.S. Degree in Nursing Education from Teachers College and a Master’s Degree in Human Sexuality and Family Life from N.Y.U. In addition to working as a registered nurse at Mount Sinai Hospital, Ms. Orridge taught Sex Education to the special needs' clients of the Harlem Hospital Department of Psychiatry. A resident of Delano Village/Savoy Park for 50 years, she was a tenant organizer and the President of its Tenant Association for over 35 years. She taught generations of Harlem residents to fight for their rights. Ms. Orridge sat on the Board of Directors of the School Committee at the Cathedral School of Saint John The Divine, and was the Chair of the school's Minority Interests Committee from 1976-1980. A Certified Sex Educator, she taught human sexuality to the mentally challenged at Harlem House, a part of Harlem Hospital. For more than ten years, she voluntarily provided sexuality education to the members/ patients of Harlem Clubhouse, an outpatient psychiatric rehabilitation program based on the Fountain House model. She developed innovative methods to educate, inform and guide patients/ members at Harlem Hospital Residency Training and Education Program, where she taught the importance of recognizing human sexuality among the mentally ill and embracing strategies for addressing their needs. Valerie M. Orridge was the Registered Nurse for the A. Philip Randolph Senior Citizen Center until her death. (Perkins)
LL:2018/139
Veterans Way (Manhattan)
Present name:First Avenue
Location:between East 23rd Street and East 25th Street
Honoree: Manhattan's V.A. hospital is affiliated with the New York University Medical Center and is the home of all of the administration's cardiac and neurosurgical care in the metropolitan region. It is regarded by medical experts as a star in the nation's constellation of veterans' hospitals.
LL:2004/08
Victor Wald Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 81st Street
Location:Between Broadway and West End Avenue
Honoree: Victor Wald (b. 1951) worked at Avalon Partners in the World Trade Center. He was killed in the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001.
LL:2003/15
Vinegar Hill Corner (Manhattan)
Present name:None
Location:Northeast corner of West 135th Street and Amsterdam Avenue
Honoree: Vinegar Hill, along Amsterdam Avenue from 131st Street to 135th Streets was a mix of people with a strong sense of community. In World War II it created the monthly Vinegar Hill Gazette, to report on its men and women in uniform. The community lost 30 members during World War II, who are still remembered today.
LL:1998/44
Vito Marcantonio Lucky Corner (Manhattan)
Present name:None
Location:Northeast corner of 116th Street and Lexington Avenue
Honoree: The Lucky Corner is at the intersection of East 116th Street and Lexington Avenue, a site that represented both a crossroads and a borderline. Here was a stop for East Harlem’s sole subway line, and for crosstown as well as north-south buses. In the early 20th century Lexington Avenue was the informal border between Italian Harlem--America’s largest Little Italy—and Jewish East Harlem, which was gradually replaced by El Barrio, the largest Puerto Rican community in the United States. Also, East 116th Street is East Harlem’s major shopping street. Closer to the East River it served as Italian Harlem’s corso, the street where the doctors, dentists, and political leaders lived. From 1924 until the 1960’s, the Lucky Corner was the site of Election Eve rallies. The first took place in 1924 when Vito Marcantonio introduced Fiorello La Guardia, who was running for his second Congressional term from the East Harlem district. (Ayala)
LL:2018/139


Contact | © 2005-2018 by Gilbert Tauber