NYC Honorary Street Names
"S" Honorary Streets: Manhattan
Saint Elizabeth Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southwest corner of 187th Street and Wadsworth Avenue
Honoree: Saint Elizabeth Church, founded in 1869, was originally located at 4381 Broadway at the corner of 187th Street. The church burned down in 1925 and relocated to the southwest corner of Wadsworth Avenue and 187th Street in 1927. The church has been very active in the Washington Heights Community through social ministry, supporting local initiatives, and charity work. It offers food to residents from the surrounding area throughout the year. (Rodriguez)
Saint Malachy's Way (Manhattan)
Present name:West 49th Street
Location:Between 8th Avenue and Broadway
Honoree: In addition to being a beloved parish church, St. Malachy’s has long been a spiritual home to the theatrical community, and has come to be known as “The Actors’ Chapel.” St. Malachy’s also serves the community with a program to feed and help the elderly poor, as well as provide a residence for these individuals, across the street from the Church.
Samuel D. Leidesdorf Way (Manhattan)
Present name:First Avenue
Location:The east side of First Ave between East 30th Street and East 34th Street.
Honoree: Samuel D. Leidesdorf (1881-1968) had hoped to be a doctor but had to go to work as an office boy to support his family. He became a bookkeeper, studied accounting, and in 1905 founded what became one of the nation's largest accounting firms. While still in his twenties he began a lifetime of philanthropy in support of medical and educational institutions. He was instrumental in the creation of the NYU Medical Center on its present site on First Avenue, and was Chair of its Board from 1956 until his death in 1968.
Samuel J. Battle Plaza (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of 135th Street and Lenox Avenue
Honoree: In 1911 Samuel J. Battle (1883-1966) became the first African-American appointed to the NYPD. He served the 38th Precinct in Harlem for many years. He became the first African-American to be become Sergeant in 1926, and the first African-American Lieutenant in 1935.
Sandra Hernandez Place (Manhattan)
Present name:East 140th Street
Location:Between Brook Avenue and Willis Avenue
Honoree: Sandra Hernandez (1952-2007) was the founder and Executive Director of Mott Haven’s Freedom Community Center, which provides housing for domestic violence victims, Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, health and human services, HIV testing, and summer youth programs.
Santiago Ceron Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Sickles Street
Location:Between Sherman Avenue and Nagle Avenue
Honoree: Santiago Ceron (1940-2010) was the Dominican Republic’s first internationally known salsa singer. He was best known for his hit song, “De Borojol le traigo un son.” He was born in Santo Domingo and later studied at the Bellas Artes. He worked as an exclusive radio and television artist of the famous Dominican Voice. He arrived in New York in 1963 and sang with Arsenio Rodríguez and Pete “Conde” Rodríguez Orchestra. He also collaborated with Tony Pavon and La Protesta. He was also famed as a solo artist with such albums as “Abriendo puertas,” Navegando con sabor,” and “Canta si va a cantar.” (Rodriguez)
Sara Curry Way (Manhattan)
Present name:St. Marks Place
Location:Between First Avenue and Avenue A
Honoree: Sara Curry (1865-1940) founded the Little Missionary’s Day Nursery in 1896. It provides affordable day care to children of all ethnic and religious backgrounds. The Day Nursery continues to serve its community by dedicating a portion of its income to provide tuition assistance.
Sareve Dukat Avenue (Manhattan)
Present name:West End Avenue
Location:Between West 85th Street and West 86th Street
Honoree: Sareve Dukat (b. 1948) worked for the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance at the World Trade Center. She was killed in the terrorist attack of September 11, 2001.
Sergeant Finbar Devine Corner (Manhattan)
Location:SW corner at the intersection of Varick St and Ericsson Place
Honoree: Finbar Devine (1929-1995) was the co-founder and longtime leader of the New York City Police Department Band. For decades he was a familiar figure, leading the NYPD band in parades and civic ceremonies. A graduate of New York University, Devine joined the NYPD in 1951, was promoted to Sergeant in 1972 amd retired in 1985. Stationed in the 1st Precinct, he served nearly 35 years. He also served 25 years in the 69th Regiment of the National Guard, reaching the rank of Master Sergeant.
Sgt. Charles H. Cochrane Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the northwest corner of Washington Place and 6th Avenue
Honoree: Charles H. Cochrane (1944-20 8)was the first openly gay New York City Police Department officer. In 1981, he testified at a City Council meeting in support of New York City’s gay rights bill. At the meeting, he testified that he was very proud of being a New York City policeman and equally proud of being gay. He stood up for what he believed in during a time when there weren’t many openly gay police officers. He went on to help form the Gay Officers Action League (GOAL), the first Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Law Enforcement Group in the United States, which set the pattern for establishing GOAL chapters that now exist in every major police department in the United States and helped advance civil rights issues in relation to sexual orientation. (Johnson)
Sgt. Jose Enrique Ulloa Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of 177th Street and Audubon Avenue
Honoree: Sgt. Jose Enrique Ulloa (1984-2008), a graduate of Washington Irving High School, was killed in the line of duty in Sadr City, Iraq when his vehicle encountered an explosive device.
Sholem Aleichem Place (Manhattan)
Present name:E 33rd St
Location:Bounded by Park Ave and Madison Ave
Honoree: Sholem Aleichem, which literally means "peace be with you," was the pen name of Solomon Naumovich Rabinovitch (1859-1916). An author of stories, novels and plays, he was probably the most widely read writer in the Yiddish language. Among his numerous works are the Tevye stories, the basis of the musical "Fiddler on the Roof." A building on this block houses the offices of The Forward, founded in 1897 as a Yiddish-language newspaper and now publshed in both Yiddish and English editions.
Shona Bailey Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 135th Street
Location:Between Broadway and Riverside Drive
Honoree: On Oct 27, 1992 police found Shona Bailey's nude body in the basement of her building on 135th St. in Harlem. Aged 21, she had been raped and strangled. Bailey had graduated from F.H. La Guardia High School and attended two years at SUNY New Paltz. An actress with stage credits, She was slated to appear as an extra in Spike Lee's "Malcolm X." (POC 1993 v. 1-A p. 376)
Shorakapock Natural Area (Manhattan)
Present name:Within Inwood Hill Park
Location:Generally bounded on the south by Dyckman Street, on the west by the Amtrak ROW, on the north by the Bulkhead Line and on the east by an irregular shifting line (refer to DPR Map M-RW-42-2200).
Honoree: Meaning "edge of the river," this is thought to be the original Indian name for the area of Indian habitation in what is now Washington Heights and Inwood. According to the City Council Proceedings "the restoration of the original name of this large area of inwood Hill Park will acknowledge the historical Native American presence in this area of Manhattan."
Sidney Offerman Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of Nagle Street and Ellwood Street
Honoree: Sidney Offerman joined the Board of Directors of the YMHA of Washington Heights in 1945. He was instrumental in the building the Y?s new building when the YMHA of Inwood merged with the YMHA of Washington Heights to become the YM & YWHA of Washington Heights and Inwood in 1956. He served as president of the newly created Y until his death in 1975. He was the owner of Amsterdam Color Works in the Bronx, and an active board member of many charities. The Y will celebrate its 100th year in 2017. (Rodriquez)
Sister Mary Irene Fitzgibbon Corner (Manhattan)
Location:Southeast corner of Sixth Avenue and West 17th Street.
Honoree: Sister Mary Irene Fitzgibbon (1823-1896), born in England, came to New York as a child and in 1850 joined the Sisters of Charity. In 1869, with two other sisters, she established the New York Founding Hospital in a rented house at 17 East 12th Street. In 1881 it expanded to to include a separate maternity hospital and adoption services. "The Foundling," now located at this corner, cares for 9,000 childrena and families each year.
Special Agent Everett E, Hatcher Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 17th Street
Location:Between Tenth and Eleventh Avenues.
Honoree: Everett E. Hatcher (1942-1989) grew up in New York City. In the US Army in Germany, he was a Deputy Provost Marshall in Germany. Returning to New York in 1975, he taught in city schools and was an investigator for the Manhattan DA office. In 1977 he joined the Drug Enforcement Agency. On February 28, 1989 Special Agent Hatcher was shot and killed during an investigation on Staten Island. At the time, this block was the location of the the DEA's New York Regional Office..
St. James Place (Manhattan)
Present name:East 126th Street
Location:Between Madison Avenue and Park Avenue
Honoree: This co-naming honors St. James Church which was opened in 1859. (Dickens)
St. Mary’s Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 126th Street
Location:Between Old Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue.
Honoree: St. Mary's Protestant Episcopal Church, on the north side of 126th Street, was founded in 1820. Its first building was a frame structure built about 1825. It was demolished in 1908 and the present church erected in 1909. Parts of the orginal rectory were converted to become part of the present parish house. The Sunday School building, located behind and linked to the church, was built in 1890.
Staff Sgt. Riayan Agusto Tejeda Street (Manhattan)
Present name:West 180th Street
Location:Between St. Nicholas Avenue and Wadsorth Avenue
Honoree: Riayan Agusto Tejeda (1976-2002) was born in the Dominican Republic and came to the U.S. in 1989. Upon graduating from the Fashion Industries H. S., he joined the U.S. Navy and later transferred to the Marine Corps. Staff Sgt. Tejeda was killed on November 6, 2002 after a confrontation with an Iraqi battalion in central Baghdad.
Stan Brooks Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southeast corner of 43rd Street and 10th Avenue
Honoree: Bronx-born Stan Brooks (1927-2013) was a Senior Correspondent for 1010 WINS News Radio. He worked as a reporter and editor for Newsday for 11 years before becoming Assistant News Director of WINS in 1962. In 1965, as News Director, he led the transformation of WINS from a rock-and-roll station to the first-ever all-news radio station in the United States. During his career, he covered the Attica Prison riot, Chappaquiddick, Vietnam War protests, civil rights demonstrations, the 1968 Democratic National Convention, and the attacks on the World Trade Center. (Johnson)
Stickball Hall of Fame Place (Manhattan)
Present name:East 109th Street
Location:between 2nd Avenue and 3rd Avenue
Honoree: Of all the games that rose from the streets of urban America, none carried more mystique than Stickball. The 111th street Oldtimers, organized in 1968, used Stickball to reach out to young and old alike, to stay involved and make their neighborhoods a better place to live. In 2001, they and other Stickball aficionados created the Stickball Hall of Fame, located at the Museum of the City of New York.
Sugar Ray Robinson Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard
Location:Between 123rd Street and 124th Street
Honoree: Sugar Ray Robinson (1921-1989) was born in Georgia and moved to New York as a teenager. It was in a Harlem gym that he was first introduced to boxing. He won the New York Golden Gloves championship in 1940 and at the age of 19 turned pro and became the world welterweight champion in 1946.
Susan B. Anthony and Elizabeth Cady Stanton Corner (Manhattan)
Location:the northeast corner of Park Row and Beekman Street
Honoree: Susan B. Anthony (1820-1906) and Elizabeth Cady Stanton (1815-1902) were pioneers in the struggle for women’s rights. From 1868 to 1870 they published their women’s rights newspaper, “The Revolution” with offices at 37 Park Row. .
Sylvia P. Woods Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the intersection of West 126th Street and Malcolm X Boulevard
Honoree: Sylvia P. Woods founded the renowned Sylvia’s Restaurant in 1952. Starting with 35 seats, her success and hard work later resulted in its expansion to accommodate 450 patrons. Her family subsequently developed a catering business and an extensive line of Sylvia’s food products. The Woods family founded the Herbert and Sylvia Woods Scholarship Endowment Fund which offers college scholarships to local residents of Harlem. (Dickens)
Sylvia Rivera Way (Manhattan)
Location:Northeast corner of the intersection of Hudson Street and Chritopher Street
Honoree: Sylvia Rivera (1951-2002) was a long-time activist for gay and transgender rights. She has been credited with throwing the first bottle in the Stonewall Riots on June 28, 1969, which marked the beginning of the modern-day Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Rights Movement. She worked the last six years of her life at Uplift Lighting, located near the corner of Christopher and Hudson Streets.
Contact | © 2005-2018 by Gilbert Tauber