NYC Honorary Street Names
"H" Honorary Streets: Manhattan
Harriet Tubman Avenue (Manhattan)
Present name:St. Nicholas Avenue
Location:From West 111th Street to West 141st Street
Honoree: See Harriet Tubman Square
Harriet Tubman Square (Manhattan)
Location:The portions of Frederick Douglass Boulevard and St. Nicholas Avenue, extending from West 120th Street to West 122nd street
Honoree: Harriet Ross (1820-1913), an escaped slave, settled in Auburn NY in 1857. She made 19 trips on the Underground Railroad and freed more than 300 slaves. In the Civil War, she was a spy for the Union army and later a government nurse. In 1896, she bought land for a home for sick and needy blacks. Unable to raise enough money to build, she gave the land to the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church. It completed the home in 1908 and Harriet spent her last years there.
Harry Wieder Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Forsyth Street
Location:Between Stanton Street and Rivington Street
Honoree: Harry Wieder (d. 2010) was a member of Community Board 3 (CB 3) and an activist for gay rights and people with disabilities. He was profiled in Betty Adelsen’s 2005 book entitled, “The Lives of Dwarfs: Their Journey from Public Curiosity Toward Social Liberation.”
Henry Rivera Place (Manhattan)
Present name:W 225th St
Location:Bounded by Adrian Ave and Jacobus Pl
Honoree: Henry Rivera (1951-1992) taught construction skills to special education students at the Manhattan School for Career Development. He and his students rehabilitated a rundown building in Harlem and turned the lot behind it into a community garden. On April 16, 1992, he was doing laundry at a laundromat when there was a robbery attempt and assault on the laundromat owner. Henry Rivera came to his aid and was fatally shot.
Hermena Rowe Street (Manhattan)
Location:At the southwest corner of Adam Clayton Powell, Jr. Boulevard and 122nd Street
Honoree: Hermena Rowe (1929-2005), concerned about conditions in her children’s’ schools, became active in their PTAs. She went on to work for the Center for Early Childhood Programs and the East Harlem Scholarship Program She was an active member of several Harlem community organizations, including HARYOU-ACT and Community Board 10, and on the board of the Family Planning and Addicts Rehabilitation Center (ARC).
Homer Young Kennedy Way (Manhattan)
Location:At the southeast corner of Indian Road at West 218th Street
Honoree: Homer Young Kennedy (d. 2004) was active in the Inwood community. He was responsible for locking and unlocking the Indian Road Playground and also contributed to the revival of Drums Along the Hudson, and the Uptown Arts Stroll, and was Assistant Chair of the Parks and Cultural Affairs Committee of Community Board 12.
Hon. Thomas Tam Way (Manhattan)
Location:Underneath the Canal Street sign on the Southeast corner of Canal and Cortland Alley
Honoree: Dr. Tam (1946-2008) a public-health educator and filmmaker, was the first Chinese-American Trustee of the City University. He organized the Asian-American Higher Education Council at CUNY and led efforts to establish the first Asian/Asian-American Research Institute at CUNY.
Hudson Guild Place (Manhattan)
Present name:W 26th St
Location:Between Ninth and Tenth Avenues.
Honoree: This naming marked the centenary of the Hudson Guild, which was founded in 1895 by John Lovejoy Elliott. It is the only settlement house in Chelsea. Its offshoots include the Hudson Guild Theater and the Joe and Emily Lowe Gallery. Since 1917 the Guild has also operated the 550-acre Hudson Guild Farm in Netcong NJ, which provides vacation and summer camp activities, retreats and conferences.
Humphrey Bogart Place (Manhattan)
Present name:West 103rd Street
Location:Between Broadway and West End Avenue
Honoree: Humphrey DeForest Bogart (1899-1957) was one of Hollywood’s best-known movie actors of the 1930’s and 1940’s. He appeared in 28 films, including “High Sierra,” “The Maltese Falcon,” and “Casablanca.” Bogart grew up in the brownstone at 245 W 103rd St.
Hy Genee Way (Manhattan)
Present name:Broome Street
Location:Between Allen Street and Eldridge Street
Honoree: Hy Genee (1922-2006) was the president and spiritual leader of Kehila Kedosha Janina Synagogue, which is the only Greek Jewish Romaniote synagogue in the Western Hemisphere. He was born on Orchard Street, and lived his entire life on the Lower East Side. He single-handedly kept Kehila Kedosha Janina, located at 280 Broome Street, alive for over fifty years and saw the synagogue/museum become a historic landmark. This area was the epicenter of Romaniote immigration at the turn of the 20th Century. Hundreds of Greek Jewish families once lived in the tenements on this block, which contributed to the establishment of the current synagogue building in 1927. (Borelli)
Contact | © 2005-2018 by Gilbert Tauber