NYC Honorary Street Names
"M" Honorary Streets: The Bronx
Ma Carter’s Way (Bronx)
Present name:Bryant Avenue
Location:Between East 180th Street and Southern Boulevard
Honoree: Juanita “Ma” Carter was a community activist, member of Community Board6 and the 48th Pct. Council, President of Lambert Houses and a founding member of “Not in My Neighborhood You Don’t” anti-violence and drug campaign.
Major General John R Brown Square (Bronx)
Location:Bounded by West Kingsbridge Road and Sedgwick Ave
Honoree: John R. Brown (1908-1995) had a 42- year career with the New York National Guard. In World War II he served in North Africa and the Battle of the Bulge. At his retirement in 1972 he was Commandant of the Kingsbridge Armory. In civilian life, he was a business representative for Con Edison. After retirement, he continued to work as a volunteer at the Kingsbridge VA Hospital until his death.
Marcus Garvey Square (Bronx)
Location:All four corners of Gunhill Road and White Plains Road
Honoree: Marcus Garvey (1887-1940) was a Black Nationalist leader who created the “Back to Africa” movement in the United States. In Jamaica, he founded the Universal Negro Improvement Association (UNIA) and the African Communities League. He settled in New York City in 1916. He encouraged African-Americans to be proud of their race and preached their return to Africa.
Margaret Mack Triangle (Bronx)
Location:40 West Mosholu Parkway South
Honoree: Margaret Mack (d. 2014) was a longtime tenant leader in the Tracey Towers, an 869-unit Mitchell-Lama complex built in 1972. Serving on the Tracey Towers Tenants Association, she championed the interests of residents on such issues as lack of heat or hot water, roof leakage, dirty hallways, faulty elevators, and other health and safety issues, as well as crime. Upon learning of proposed rent increases in 2011, she mobilized Tracey Towers’ tenants. It was in part due to her efforts that a judge trimmed the hike for many elderly and fixed-income tenants. She was also Chair of the Parks and Recreation Committee of Community Board 7. (Cohen)
Marge Jeffries Way (Bronx)
Present name:Barkley Avenue
Location:Between East Tremont Avenue and Revere Avenue
Honoree: Marguerite “Marge” Jeffries (1934-2002) served on Community Board 10 for 13 years. She also served as the President of the 45th Precinct Community Council for 20 years, from 1976-1996. In that position, she worked aggressively to bring the community and police together during some very difficult times.
Marie Smith Urban Street Academy Corner (Bronx)
Location:Southeast corner of Exterior Street and West 230th Street
Honoree: The Marie Smith Urban Street Academy was a public school located at 2910 Exterior Street.
Marine Corporal Ramona M. Valdez Way (Bronx)
Present name:151 East Fordham Road
Location:Fordham Road and Grand Concourse
Honoree: Ramona M. Valdez (1984-2005) was a United States Marine who was killed in the line of duty when a vehicle-borne improvised explosive device detonated near her convoy vehicle in Fallujah, Iraq. Two years after her death, Camp Lejeune, the base in North Carolina where she trained, dedicated a training center in her honor. (Cabrera)
Mario Borgatti Way (Bronx)
Location:At the southeast corner of Hughes Avenue and East 187th Street
Honoree: Mario Borgatti (1917-2014) owned Borgatti’s Ravioli and Egg Noodles, an iconic pasta shop on East 187th Street that opened in 1935 and was lauded as one of the city’s best Italian eateries. He served in WWII in the United States Navy and was awarded the Asiatic-Pacific Medal with one star. He was named Honorary Merchant of the Year by Arthur Avenue and East 187th Street Merchant Association. His shop was also used to feed the homeless. (Torres)
Marshall C. England Way (Bronx)
Present name:Bathgate Avenue
Location:Between the Cross Bronx Expressway and Claremont Parkway
Honoree: Marshall C. England (1932-2000) came to New York in 1958 and became a street gang worker for the City Youth Board. In his early years in New York, he chaired New York C.O.R.E. and the board of the HARYOU-ACT Community Corporation. He went on to found L.A.B.O.R. (the League of Autonomous Bronx Organizations for Renewal). an umbrella group for antipoverty and social programs.
Martha Watford Way (Bronx)
Present name:Manida Street
Location:Between Spofford Avenue and Lafayette Avenue
Honoree: Martha Watford (1930-2014) was an active member of the Hunts Point community. For over 45 years, she dedicated herself to the education and early development of young children in and around the Hunts Point Peninsula. She led one of its largest community-based organizations, the La Peninsula Head Start Program, serving over 1,000 families. Beginning with a two-room facility, she developed it into an organization with six centers and thirty classrooms, including the new Martha Watford Early Childhood Learning Center at Prospect Avenue and Boston Road. The MJW Foundation, Inc. has been established to carry on her work. (Salamanca)
Martin Gold Place (Bronx)
Present name:Tenbroeck Avenue
Location:Between Mace Avenue and Allerton Avenue
Honoree: Martin Gold was a longtime Bronx activist. Several times a month, he would repaint mailboxes that had been vandalized by graffiti and always valued quality of life issues. He was also activist on behalf of senior citizens.
Mary V. Lauro Way (Bronx)
Present name:Matilda Avenue
Location:Between East 236th Street and East 237th Street
Honoree: Mary V. Lauro graduated from Hunter College in 1947 and later went to work for Adhesive Products Corporation where she co-invented Monzini, a synthetic casting compound used by many museums in dinosaur skeletons and other exhibits and also sculptors and makeup artists. She was also very active in her community and served as the president of the Wakefield Taxpayers and Civic League (WTCL) for 25 years. (Koppell)
Mattie Harris Place (Bronx)
Present name:Tilden Street
Location:Between Bronxwood Avenue and East Gun Hill Road
Honoree: Mattie Harris (1923-2003), a lay practical nurse, was a community leader in the Northeast Bronx for more than 35 years. She was active in the Tilden Street Block Association, the Williamsburg Mobile Patrol of the Northeast Bronx (President), the 47th Precinct Council (Past Second Vice President), the Northeast Bronx Democratic Club, and the Abyssinian Baptist Church.
Maude Steiner Corner (Bronx)
Location:Southeast corner Campbell Drive and Agar Place
Honoree: Maude Steiner (1922-1999)became a community activist in response to the periodic flooding suffered by the homeowners on Campbell Drive. Her campaign for improved storm sewers led to the creation of The Country Club Civic Association, which elected Maude Steiner as its first President. It took approximately 20 years, but the much needed sewers were ultimately installed. As a member of Community Board 10 for over 25 years, Maude Steiner held several key posts including Chairperson. In addition, as the long-time Treasurer of the Westchester Country Club, she was instrumental in the reconstruction of the Club's pier and other important improvement projects.
Maxine Sullivan Way (Bronx)
Present name:Ritter Place
Location:Between Prospect Avenue and Union Avenue
Honoree: Maxine Sullivan (1911-1987) was a renowned jazz singer who performed in numerous venues in the United States and in Europe as well as in films and Broadway shows. In 1940 she and her husband, bassist John Kirby, became the first African-American jazz stars to have their own weekly radio series, “Flow Gently Sweet Rhythm” on NBC. In 1957, she took a break from her singing career. She became a nurse at the local school board and, in 1970, founded a non-profit educational organization called, “The House that Jazz Built”. It offered space to musicians and local art groups and provided musical training for children, workshops and concerts. She eventually resumed her musical career, receiving a Tony award nomination for her performance in the musical, “My Old Friends” in 1979 and three Grammy Award nominations in the 1980s. (Gibson)
Maxwell “Max the Sax” Lucas Way (Bronx)
Present name:Morris Avenue
Location:Between Tremont Avenue and East 179th Street
Honoree: At 14, Maxwell Lucas (1910-2010) was given an alto saxophone. He studied for six months before he was offered a seat as a player with Hugh Kirksy and his Orchestra. In a career spanning 80 years he played with jazz legends including Charlie Parker, Thelonious Monk, Count Basie, and the Duke Ellington orchestra under the direction of Mercer Ellington. He toured with Marva Lewis, Nat King Cole, Billy Eckstine, Benny Goodman, Howard Johnson, Al Cobbs, Arthur Prysock, the Supremes, Eric Johnson, George Benson, and Joe Lewis. He also played with Danny Mixon, Chuck Berry, and Ray Charles; and recorded with Etta James, The Drifters, Buddy Hackett, Sarah Vaughn, Big Maybelle, Roberta Thorpe, Ruth Brown, Little Ester, Laverne Baker, and Little Jimmy Scott. (Cabrera)
Meg Charlop Way (Bronx)
Present name:Fulton Avenue
Location:Between East 166th Street and East 167th Street
Honoree: Meg Charlop (1952-2010) was a community and housing organizer in Morrisania. For 26 years, she worked for the Montefiore Medical Center and was a leader in the fight against childhood lead poisoning.
Melanie Rodriguez Place (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Sherman Avenue and East 163rd Street
Honoree: On May 10, 1988 Melanie Rodriguez (1928-2015) took over a parking lot next to the building she lived in on Sherman Avenue. With help from Community Board 4, The Trust For Public Land and GreenThumb, she secured funding to transform the the lot into the Sherman Avenue community garden. She allowed students from Junior High School 145, along with the community, to learn how to garden and learn facts on nutrition. She organized block parties and provided arts-and-crafts learning opportunities for children. In addition, she led many protests to protect funding for the community garden programs throughout the city. (Gibson)
Mercy College Place (Bronx)
Present name:Antin Place
Location:Between Holland Avenue and Brady Avenue
Honoree: Mercy College was founded in 1950 by the Sisters of Mercy and became an independent non-sectarian institution in 1969. Its main campus is in Dobbs Ferry, New York. Its Bronx campus opened in 1975 on Williamsbridge Road and, with increased enrollment, relocated in 1988 to a site on Antin Place. It has since relocated to 1200 Waters Place in the Hutchinson Metro Center.
Michael Cotter Sr. Place (Bronx)
Present name:Wickham Avenue
Location:Between Stillwell Place and Astor Avenue
Honoree: Michael Cotter Sr. served as Treasurer of Mt. St. Michael School and President of the Father’s Guild where he organized events and raised money for the school. He also coached in the Astor Little League and volunteered to patrol his neighborhood through the Chester Civic Association.
Michael Crescenzo Triangle (Bronx)
Location:Existing raised triangle…at the apex of the easterly side of Hobart Avenue and the westerly side of Westchester Avenue (Block no. 4195)
Honoree: Michael Crescenzo, born in 1917, was a longtime community leader in the Pelham Bay area. He was a founder of the Pelham Bay Taxpayers and Civic Association and served as its president for 20 years. He was also a founder and director of the North East Bronx Senior Citizens Center and president of the Pelham Bay Golden Age Center.
Michael Fahy Way (Bronx)
Present name:at 2175 Walton Avenue
Honoree: Michael Fahy, a 17-year member of the FDNY, was Battalion Chief of the 19th Division, based at 2175 Walton Avenue. On September 27, 2016, he was directing operations at the site of a reported gas leak iwhen the building exploded. Fahy was killed by falling debris and 20 others were injured. The building, a house at 300 West 234th Street, was being used to grow marijuana. Fahy, who was 44, was posthumously promoted to Deputy Chief. A resident of Yonkers, he coached basketball and baseball for the Catholic Youth Organization at the Annunciation School. (Cabrera)
Michael J. Durso Corner (Bronx)
Location:Northwest corner of Morris Park Avenue and Williamsbridge Road
Honoree: Michael J. Durso (1933-2000), who had a successful career in the financial industry, was a lifelong Bronx resident. He held directorships in numerous community organizations including the Bronx YMCA, Calvary Hospital, Jacobi Hospital, the Clinical Investigation Committee of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Economic Development Corporation of New York and the New Bronx Chamber of Commerce. Mr. Durso was also instrumental in the development of Fordham Plaza, which created over 800 jobs.
Michael Pichardo Way (Bronx)
Present name:Terrace View Avenue
Location:Between Teunissen Place and Adrian Avenue
Honoree: Michael Pichardo (1947-2001) was Executive Director of the Marble Hill Neighborhood Improvement Center. He became involved in local community affairs as a member of Community Board 8 and went on to become chairman of its Public Safety Committee. Mr. Pichardo died of cancer in 2001
Michael Reidy Pathway (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of West Fordham Road and University Avenue
Honoree: Police officer Michael Reidy, (1960-1987) was a lifelong resident of 2336 University Avenue and attended the nearby Saint Nicholas of Tolentine School. He was appointed to the NYPD in 1986 and assigned to Neighborhood Stabilization Unit #7. On January 23, 1987 Officer Reidy entered his building and was confronted by an armed gunman who demanded his money. A gunfight ensued in which Officer Reidy was fatally shot. He was only 26 years old.
Miguel Angel (Mike) Amadeo Way (Bronx)
Location:Southwest corner of Prospect Avenue and Westchester Avenue
Honoree: Miguel Angel Amadeo, a Puerto Rican born composer and guitarist, was the long-time owner of Casa Amadeo, at 786 Prospect Avenue. Opened in 1941, Casa Amadeo is the oldest Latin music store in New York City and is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. (Arroyo)
Miguel Cariño Way (Bronx)
Present name:Hoffman Street
Location:Between East 188th Street and East 189th Street
Honoree: Miguel Cariño Soriano (1937-2002) came to the United States from Mexico and worked at the Sea Shore Restaurant for 20 years. On August 3, 2002, on his way to work, he was the victim of a random and senseless crime.
Mike Nuñez Place (Bronx)
Present name:Theriot Avenue
Location:Between Westchester Avenue and the Cross Bronx Expressway Service Road
Honoree: Mike Nuñez (1930-2004), at his death, was President of the South Bronx Board of Trade. He had earlier held posts the South Bronx Neighborhood Orientation Center, the Harlem Commonwealth Council, and the Hunts Point Multi-Service Center Inc.
Milton Alexander Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Asch Loop and Bartow Avenue
Honoree: Milton Alexander (1933-2009) was co-founder of the Co-op City Tennis Club in 1983. He coached thousands of adults and kids and taught them the game of tennis. Thirty-four children received college scholarships under his leadership. Also under his leadership, the children of Co-op City Tennis Club were chosen several years in a row to repreent New York City at the U.S. Open and won numerous championships. He conducted tennis tournaments and was a board member of the New York Junior Tennis League, the Youth Activities Committee, and Section Leader for the US Tennis Association Minority Participation Committee and a founding member of the North Bronx Sports Federation. (King)
Monroe College Way (Bronx)
Present name:Morris Avenue
Location:Between East Fordham Road and East 190th Street
Honoree: This designation marked the 60th anniversary of Monroe College, which was established in 1933 as the Monroe School of Business. In 1972 it became a junior college and in 1990, after being accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, became Monroe College. It currently has over 4,000 students at its Bronx campus.
Mother Teresa Way (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of Lydig Avenue and Holland Avenue
Honoree: Mother Teresa (1910-1997), born in Albania, served the poor, sick, orphaned and dying in India for over 45 years through the Missionaries of Charity, which she founded. She was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979. Her memory is especially significant to the Albanian-American community, such as along Pelham Parkway.
Mr. Joseph Zinzi Place (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Arthur Avenue and East 187th Street
Honoree: Joseph Zinzi (d. 2007) worked to promote intergroup harmony in Belmont as a founding member of the Community Board 6 Interracial and Interethnic Council. He was also involved for over 35 years with the Italian American Alliance for Education, helping to secure educational and career opportunities for young people.
Ms. Rachel E. Spivey Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:East 169th Street
Location:Between Third Avenue and Webster Avenue
Honoree: Rachel E. Spivey (d. 20005) was Executive Director of the Claremont Neighborhood Centers, Inc. She was also active with Bronx Community Board 3, The New York Yankees Advisory Board, and Bronx Lebanon Hospital.
Msgr. Gerald J. Ryan Blvd. (Bronx)
Present name:East 138th Street
Location:Between Jackson Avenue and Willis Avenue
Honoree: Gerald J. Ryan (1920-2013) began working as a priest in the Bronx in 1945. In the 1960s, he joined the March on Washington, and stood with the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. in Selma, Alabama. He later helped build low-income housing for Spanish-speaking immigrants in the South Bronx. In 1966, he began serving at St. Luke’s parish whose population was changing rapidly. He enrolled in a Berlitz class and started to minister in Spanish. Working with the city, he helped lead a church effort to build two housing projects, St. Francis and George Hardy. In the 1970’s when the South Bronx started to burn, he remained in the Bronx and opened the parish basement as a community center and he kept the parish school open. He ran St. Luke’s until he was 93, making him the City's oldest working priest. (Mark-Viverito)
Msgr. John J. Considine Square (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of East 241st Street and Martha Avenue
Honoree: Monsignor John J. Considine (1913-2000) was ordained in 1936. He was pastor of St. Barnabas parish in the Bronx for 21 years, from 1965 to 1986, then became pastor emeritus and a senior priest of the Archdiocese with residence at Cardinal Spellman High School.
Msgr. Thomas J McCormack Sq (Bronx)
Location:Traffic square at the southerly side of E 153rd St and easterly side of Grand Concourse
Honoree: Msgr. McCormack (1923-1994) taught religion and history at Cardinal Hayes High School for 37 years. He was the school's principal from 1972 to 1989, when he was appointed Pastor of Our Lady of the Rosary Church in downtown Manhattan. He served in that post until his death.
Msgr. William Smith Way (Bronx)
Present name:Beck Street
Location:Between Intervale Avenue and Tiffany Street
Honoree: Msgr. William Smith (d. 2008) was assigned to St. John Chrysostom Church. While at St. John’s, he co-founded the Mid Bronx Desperadoes (MBD), a coalition of volunteers who were determined to save their community from its overwhelming incidence of arson, disinvestment and abandonment. As of 2017, MBD has successfully constructed and renovated over 2,300 units of housing. It also developed the New Horizons Retail Center, which has created over 200 jobs. Msgr. Smith was transferred to St. Athanasius Church in the mid 1980s. There he co-founded the St. Vincent de Paul Nursing Home in 1992. After it opened, he played a major role in the everyday operation of the nursing home, including holding Mass for seniors twice per week and making visits all hours of the day. (Salamanca)
Contact | © 2005-2017 by Gilbert Tauber