NYC Honorary Street Names
"H" Honorary Streets: The Bronx
Harold Rapkin Plaza (Bronx)
Location:The west side of Paulding Avenue at its intersection with the Esplanade
Honoree: Harold Rapkin (1917-1977), a World War II veteran, joined Post #769 of the Jewish War Veterans in 1974 and was later its Commander. Shortly after joining, he suggested a donation to the Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association for two bullet-proof vests. This was at a time when the NYPD did not issue bulletproof vests. He involved Post #769 in many other projects and was also active as a volunteer at the Kingsbridge VA Hospital.
Hector Fontanez Place (Bronx)
Present name:Laconia Avenue
Location:Between East 229th and East 230th Streets.
Honoree: Police Officer Hector Fonatnez was born in Puerto Rco and moved to New York at the age of 5. He attended local schools and graduated from Adlai Stevenson HS. He joined the NYPD in 1986 and was assigned to the 47th Pct. On September 12, 1991 he was tragically murdered in the line of duty. This street is located in the 47th Pct.
Hector Lavoe Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:East Tremont Avenue
Location:Between Webster Avenue and Boston Road
Honoree: Hector Lavoe (1946-1993) was called “El Cantante de los Cantantes”, and his talent took him from his hometown of Ponce, Puerto Rico to the limelight of New York. He was one of the most influential singers in salsa music.
Heidi Hynes Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of East 178th Street and Mapes Avenue
Honoree: Heidi Hynes (1968-2019) graduated from Fordham University in the Bronx. She joined the Friars of Atonement's mission in Jamaica before returning to the Bronx. She participated in her community, in her parish, on the street, in civic organizations as a leader and advocate, agitator of the status quo and problem-solver with openness and humility. She served as the executive director at the Mary Mitchell Family and Youth Center in the Crotona neighborhood of the Bronx for many years and managed to secure funding to keep the doors open and start new programs and initiatives even during the austerity of recession. As executive director, she expanded programming to including after school programs, GED, sports, dance, music and youth employment initiatives. She started a farmerâ€™s market and community garden to provide healthy foods for the community and launched a food delivery service that distributed healthy produce to low-income households. She also started a Safe and Healthy Neighborhood Campaign to address gun violence and helped create Bronx Peace Action to oppose the Iraq War. She was a member of the Northwest Bronx Community and Clergy Coalition, the Catholic Worker Movement and the Atlantic Life Community. (Salamanca)
Hellenic Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:Bruckner Boulevard
Location:Between Arnow Place and Willow Lane
Honoree: This 1993 naming honored the Greek Orthodox Church of Zoodohos Peghe, whose new building was then nearing completion on this block. The church was originally opened in 1914 on Eagle Avenue and was then on Forest Avenue until 1967, when a permanent parish was established at 3573 Bruckner Boulevard. The site includes the Greek American Institute, the oldest Greek American parochial school in the northeast.
Henry “Red” Allen Way (Bronx)
Present name:Prospect Avenue
Location:Between Freeman Street and East 169th Street
Honoree: Henry Allen (1908-1967) was an outstanding jazz tumpeter who, in the 1920s and '30s played with King Oliver, with Fletcher Henderson's big band, and with the Luis Russel big band which was fronted by Louis Armstrong. He established himself as a premier soloist of the early swing period and made numerous recordings. He later formed a sextet of his own which played in New York clubs such as Kelly’s Stable and Café Society. From 1954 he was a member of a Dixieland style house band at the Metropole. He continued to play and tour until shortly before his death. (Arroyo)
Henry Grate Sr. Place (Bronx)
Present name:Remington Street
Location:Between Liberty Avenue and Lakewood Avenue
Honoree: Henry Grate Sr. (1922-2008) was the unofficial community barber and never charged anyone. A skilled carpenter, he taught his skills to neighborhood children. He also built a recording studio in his basement to give the youth a positive outlet to express their talents.
Henry McKenzie Place (Bronx)
Present name:Prospect Avenue
Location:Between East 183rd Street and East 185th Street
Honoree: Henry McKenzie (1936-2006), a WWII veteran, was known as the Mayor of Prospect Avenue. From 1968 until his death, he lived on Prospect Avenue , where he repaired broken bicycles for the children and worked as a mechanic at “The Tire Shop.”
Herb Lieberman Way (Bronx)
Location:Northwest corner of the intersection of West 236th Street and Independence Avenue
Honoree: Herb Lieberman (1928-2001) served as a member of the executive boards of P.S 24 and the David A. Stein Riverdale School M.S. 141. He was also a strong and vigorous supporter of Israel, beginning with his early opposition to the Arab boycott of Israel in the 1970s and continuing until his death on October 18, 2001.
Herb Rosenblatt Place (Bronx)
Present name:Waters Place
Location:Eastchester Road to Westchester Avenue
Honoree: In 1972 Herb Rosenblatt (1948-1991) a special education teacher, led the formation of the Bronx Special Olympics Area Committee, organizing volunteers in a program serving over 20,000 children and adults.
Hilda Singleton Place (Bronx)
Present name:Clinton Ave
Location:Bounded by East Tremont Avenue Avenue and Fairmont Place
Honoree: Hilda Singleton (1924-1994?), a mother of three, was a founding member of the Clinton Avenue Block and Homeowners' Association. She served on the 48th Precinct Community Council for 18 years as well as on the Anti-Drug Committee of Community Board 6. She also joined the Sanitation Department's Civilian Patrol Program. Her work turned a garbage-strewn lot into a community garden.
Hilton White Way (Bronx)
Present name:Cauldwell Avenue
Location:Between East 161st Street and East 163rd Street
Honoree: From the mid 1950’s through the late 1960’s, Hilton White ran a community basketball program called The Falcons that taught discipline, pride and respect for academic excellence to hundreds of young people in the Bronx. He was also one of the first black basketball coaches at the American International College in Springfield, Massachusetts.
Hip Hop Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:At 1520 Sedgwick Avenue
Location:Between West 167th Street and West Tremont Avenue
Honoree: This co-naming commemorates the beginnings of Hip Hop music. It developed in the 1970s at block parties, which were popular in New York City and particularly in the Bronx. From the 1980s onward, Hip Hop became a part of the music scene in dozens of countries and has been widely popular ever since.(Gibson)
Honorable Samuel Bea Jr. Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Ely Street and Strang Avenue on the even side of the 4000 block
Honoree: Samuel Bea Jr. (1932-2013) had been an activist since participating in Martin Luther King, Jr’s March on Washington in 1963. He became Community Board 12’s district manager in 1977 and retired in 1996 after his election as Assemblyman. He served a total of four years in the Assembly before resigning to make an unsuccessful run for the State Senate. Mr. Bea was a strong advocate for his community. He protested against sex shops on Connor Street and against the MTA’s attempt to reduce service on the No. 5 Dyre Avenue line. As a legislator, he voted against the repeal of the commuter tax and for an increase in the minimum wage, and in 1999 cosponsored a package of bills in response to the police shooting of the unarmed Amadou Diallo. (King)
Howard E. Padernacht Place (Bronx)
Location:Southwest corner of Giles Place and Sedgwick Avenue
Honoree: For over 30 years Howard Padernacht (d. 2009) dealt with local landlords and negotiated on behalf of tenants. He also led the tenants of the Shalom Aleichem Houses in obtaining the first Preservation Participation Loan from the City of New York, which drastically improved living conditions in the Kingsbridge community.
Contact | © 2005-2021 by Gilbert Tauber