NYC Honorary Street Names
"C" Honorary Streets: The Bronx
Captain James McDonnell Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of East 152nd Street and Prospect Avenue
Honoree: Captain James F. McDonnell (b. 1939) was appointed to the FDNY on October 23, 1965. He died on October 20, 1985 from the injuries he received on October 11th in a fire at 634 Prospect Avenue. While operating on the fourth floor, Captain McDonnell sensed the ceiling was about to collapse and pushed two of his men into the hallway but the burning ceiling came down on him, trapping him. Before he could be pulled out sixty-five percent of his body was burned and he succumbed to his injuries in the hospital. He was awarded the James Gordon Bennett Medal and the Doctor Harry M. Archer Medals for sacrificing his life while saving the lives of two of his men. (Mark-Viverito)
Carl Paul Jennewein Place (Bronx)
Present name:Van Nest Avenue
Location:Between Melville Street and Van Buren Street
Honoree: German-born sculptor Carl Paul Jennewein (1890-1978) came to the U.S. in 1907 and studied at the Art Students League. His best-known works in New Yotk were four stone pylons for the 1939 World’s Fair, representing the Four Elements, and the pylons flanking the entrance to the Brooklyn Public Library.
Carmen B. Bermudez Place (Bronx)
Present name:Bathgate Avenue
Location:Between East 178th Street and East 179th Street
Honoree: Carmen B. Bermudez was the founder of the Upper Bronx Neighborhood Association for Puerto Rican Affairs, Inc (NAPRA). It operates a day-care center for children with special needs as well as other programs assisting youth and young adults.
Carmen Rosa Way (Bronx)
Present name:East 229th Street
Location:Between Lowerre Place and White Plains Road
Honoree: Carmen Rosa (d. 2015) was the longtime district manager of Community Board 12. She worked for the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation, and was for more than 20 years an adjunct professor at Monroe College. While serving on the Community Board she helped ensure the cleanup of the toxic Hexagon Labs site. Her advocacy work with the Department of Aging and the Human Resources Administration led to the implementation of a satellite SNAP program office in the district and as a result, HRA representatives are available to meet with residents in the district office two days per week. (King)
Casita Maria Way (Bronx)
Present name:Simpson Street
Location:From East 163rd Street to Barretto Street
Honoree: Casita Maria, an educational and arts organization, was founded in East Harlem in 1934 by Claire and Elizabeth Sullivan, sisters of television pioneer Ed Sullivan. It moved to the Bronx in 1961. On March 1, 2007, it broke ground for a new building to house The Bronx Studio School for Writers and Artists.
Celia Cruz Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:Fordham Road
Location:Between Third Avenue and Jerome Avenue
Honoree: Cuban-born Celia Cruz (1925-2003) was one of most admired Latin vocalists of the 20th Century, often called the Queen of Salsa. She toured Central and North America in the 1950s as the lead singer of Sonora Matancera. In 1959, following the Communist takeover of Cuba, she moved to the United States. She continued her successful career as a concert and recording artist until only months before her death from cancer at the age of 77.
Charles Carroccetto Corner (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of Crosby Avenue and Roberts Avenue
Honoree: Charles Carroccetto (1917-2008) operated Charlie’s, an Italian deli and ricotta cheese shop in Pelham Bay. He employed many local teenagers and contributing generously to youth and civic associations. He was a major benefactor of the Boy’s Club of New York as well as an active member of Community Board 10.
Charles Lamontanaro Lane (Bronx)
Present name:Roberts Avenue
Location:the north side of Roberts Avenue between Hobart Avenue and Jarvis Avenue
Honoree: Charles Lamontanaro (1943-2003) began teaching at P.S. 71, in The Bronx, in September 1968 became its Principal in 1984. He dramatically improved the physical condition of the building while also improving educational programs for students. He retired in 1999.
Charles Lee Triangle (Bronx)
Location:The property bounded by Paulding Avenue, Bogart Avenue and Woodmansten Place
Honoree: Charles M. Lee (1929-2001), was a lawyer and a Republican District Leader, Early in his legal career, he was an Assistant Attorney General of the State of New York (1956 – 1957). He was also an Assistant United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York (1953 – 1955). He later served as counsel to the Bronx Borough President and held posts in the administration of Mayor John V. Lindsay.
Charles Prince Place (Bronx)
Present name:Jackson Avenue
Location:Between East 166th Street and Home Street
Honoree: Charles Prince (1924-2005) was Chairman of the Southeast Bronx Neighborhood Center and the Morrisania Revitalization Corporation, Inc. In addition, he chaired the Municipal Services Committee of Bronx Community Board 3.
Christian Regenhard Way (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of Aldrich Street and Asch Loop
Honoree: Christian Regenhard (1973-2001) was a Probationary Firefighter at Ladder 131 in Red Hook, Brooklyn. He was one of 17 Probationary Firefighters lost in the 9-11 terrorist attacks and had been a member of the FDNY for only six months.
Chuck Seidner Way (Bronx)
Present name:West 231st Street
Location:Between Godwin Terrace and Broadway
Honoree: Charles “Chuck” Seidner (1942-2001) lived in the Kingsbridge community for most of his 58 years and managed Loeser’s Delicatessen for 32 years. Chuck was the Deli man with a difference, referred to as “the Mayor of 231st Street.”
Cinco de Mayo Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Jerome Avenue and East 193rd Street
Honoree: This co-naming recognizes the culture and heritage of the Mexican population in the Bronx. Cinco de Mayo commemorates the Mexican Army’s victory over French forces at the Battle of Puebla on May 5, 1862. Note that another section of Local Law 45 of 2017 designates a Cinco de Mayo Way in Brooklyn. (Cabrera)
Commander William G. Clancy Lane (Bronx)
Location:At the northeast corner of City Island Avenue and Cross Street
Honoree: William G. Clancy (1937-2012),a lifelong City Island resident, served many roles in the Leonard Hawkins American Legion Post 156, starting in 1963, and was later Bronx County Commander and State Vice Commander. He was an advocate nationally for recognition of Prisoners of War and soldiers Missing In Action. His efforts led the Department of Defense to declassify documents so families of POW/MIA could find out what happened to them. He campaigned for the display of POW/MIA flags and for identification of human remains in Southeast Asia. He was active with Boys State, a legion program for high school juniors; was an original member of the City Island Volunteer Ambulance Corps; and an assistant scoutmaster for City Island’s Troop 211. (Vacca)
Craig W. Staub Way (Bronx)
Present name:Sedgwick Avenue
Location:Between West 197th Street and West 231st Street
Honoree: Craig W. Staub (b. 1970) worked at the firm of Keefe, Bruyette & Woods at the World Trade Center. He was killed in the terrorist attack of September, 11 2001.
Crotona Park West (Bronx)
Present name:Fulton Ave
Location:Bounded by St Paul's Place and the Cross Bronx Expressway
Honoree: This designation identifies the portion of Fulton Avenue bounding Crotona Park on the west. The bounding streets on the north, east and south were already called Crotona Park North, Crotona Park East and Crotona Park South, respectively.
Contact | © 2005-2019 by Gilbert Tauber