NYC Honorary Street Names
"B" Honorary Streets: The Bronx
Bangla Bazaar (Bronx)
Present name:Starling Avenue
Location:Between Castle Hill Avenue and Unionport Road
Honoree: Bangla Bazaar, which means Bangla Mall in the Bangladeshi language. The name honors the growth of the Bangladeshi community along Starling Avenue which offers Bangladeshi retail and food establishments contributing to the fusion of culture in the Bronx.
Basil Behagen Playground (Bronx)
Present name:Forest Playground
Location:Bounded by 166th Street, Union Avene and Tinton Avenue.
Honoree: Basil Auguranaldo Behagen (1927-1993), who was born in the Virgin Islands, worked as a Substance Abuse Prevention Specialist for the NYC Board of Education and was on the Advisory Board of Lincoln Hospital. An active member of Bronx Community Board 3, he chaired its Parks and Recreation Committee for 6 years and its Cultural Committee for 3 years. He organized an anuual neighborhood reunion at Forest Houses and ran annual basketball and baseball tournements at Forest Playground.
Basil Paterson Boulevard (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of 195th Street and Reservoir Avenue
Honoree: Basil Paterson (1926-2014), after service in World War II, earned a law degree, entered politics and was elected a state senator in 1965. In 1978, Mayor Ed Koch named hims deputy mayor for labor negotiations, a post he held until being named secretary of state by Gov. Hugh Carey. He was the first African-American in that post, in which he served until 1982. Later a labor lawyer, he watched his son, Governor David Paterson climb the political ladder from state senator, to lieutenant governor and then to governor. (Cabrera)
Ben and Dotty Abrams Way (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of Holland Avenue, Antin Avenue and Bronxdale Avenue
Honoree: Dorothy (1910- 2003) and Benjamin (1907-1984) Abrams lived in the Pelham Parkway area for more than 60 years and ran a luncheonette that was a local gathering place. Both were active members of local civic and charitable groups.
Bill Finger Way (Bronx)
Present name:192nd Street
Location:Between Grand Concourse and Valentine Avenue
Honoree: Bill Finger (1914-1974) was an American comic strip and comic book writer who was best known for co-creating the character Batman with Bob Kane of DC Comics. He also wrote many of the original Green Lantern stories. Comic-Con International established the Bill Finger Award for Excellence in Comic Book Writing, which is given annually to two recipients, one living, one deceased who have produced significant bodies of work. Bill Finger lived in the Bronx during the Great Depression and graduated from DeWitt Clinton High School in 1933. (Torres) [See also "Gotham City Honors One of Its Own" NYT 17 Dec 2017]
Bill Twomey Place (Bronx)
Location:At the northeast corner of Revere Avenue and Dill Place
Honoree: Bill Twomey (1941-2014) wrote nine books on Bronx History and over 1,000 "Do You Remember" columns for the Bronx Times Reporter. He was the founder and president of the East Bronx History Forum, which gave new life to the Huntington Free Library. He was active on the Throggs Neck-Zerega Community Advisory Council, the Throggs Neck-Soundview Mental Health Board and the Throggs Neck Homeowners Association. When the Ferry Point landfill closed, he suggested that a golf course be built there. He was the founding editor of the City Island Power Squadron newsletter, vice-President of the Gethsememe Retreat League and Commander of the St. Frances de Chantal Sea Cadets. (Vacca)
Bishop Francisco Garmendia Place (Bronx)
Present name:Crotona Parkway
Location:Between Elsmere Place and East 176th Street
Honoree: Bishop Francisco Garmendia (1924-2005) was the first Hispanic bishop to serve the archdiocese of New York and was pastor of St. Thomas Aquinas parish in the Bronx for a quarter century. He was instrumental in the establishment of the Hispanic Catholic Charismatic Center.
Bishop J. Arthur Jones Place (Bronx)
Present name:Jefferson Place
Location:Between Boston Road and Franklin Avenue
Honoree: Bishop J. Arthur Jones was the founder and served for over 30 years as the Pastor of Temple Emmanuel on Boston Road in The Bronx. At the time of his death, he was also serving as the head of the United Church of God in Christ in the United States of America and Africa. Bishop Jones was a prolific writer, composer, singer and pianist. He was also a founding member of The Bronx Shepherds Restoration Corporation.
Bishop Robert Green Way (Bronx)
Present name:3rd Avenue
Location:Between 171st Street and St. Paulís Place
Honoree: Robert Green (1927-1995) founded the Holy Tabernacle Church in a small storefront in 1965. Over the years, the church expanded with a membership of 150 people. He was ordained a Bishop by Bishop Bassnight of the Redeemed Church in 1973. The Holy Tabernacle Church has four generations of members and has been in the same location for 49 years. The church provides services and outreach programs such as a weekly food pantry, clothing and furniture distribution, mobile lunch program, computer training, counseling and job referrals among many other services. In May 2015 it will celebrate its 50th anniversary. (Gibson)
Bishop Wenzell P. Jackson Place (Bronx)
Present name:Nelson Avenue
Location:Between West 167th Street and West 168th Street
Honoree: Wenzell P. Jackson was pastor of the Mount Hermon Baptist Church and a civic leader in the Highbridge area until his death in 2013 at age 47. He was chair of Community Board 4; vice chair of the 44th Precinct Clergy Coalition; and chair and founder of the Highbridge Clergy Coalition. As chair of the CB 4 Parks Committee, he oversaw the program to replace park facilities displaced by construction of the new Yankee Stadium. He also organized CB4ís Community That Cares Campaign, a quality of life initiative that involved obtaining a new Middle School for Highbridge; protests against the concentration of homeless shelters in the district; a Stop the Violence Initiative; and a Gun Buy Back program. (Greenfield).
Bishop William J. Robinson Place (Bronx)
Present name:Washington Avenue
Location:Between East 176th Street and East Tremont Avenue
Honoree: Bishop William J. Robinson (1933-2004) founded the Garden of Prayer Cathedral and served as its pastor for forty-two years. He also served as president of the Bronx Shepard Restoration Corporation, a very successful housing development and advocacy organization.
Blanche Comras Rifkin Way (Bronx)
Location:Intersection of Pelham Parkway South and Bogart Avenue
Honoree: Blanche Comras Rifkin (1916-2015) was an active member of Community Board 11, served on the Einstein and Jacobi Medical Center Advisory Boards, the Pelham Parkway Citizens Council, P.S. 105 Parents Association, the Ruth Kurzon Group for Handicap Children and served on the boards of the Pelham Parkway Jewish Center, the National Council of Jewish Women, the Bronx House and the UJA Federation. (Gjonaj)
Bronx Science Boulevard (Bronx)
Present name:205th Street
Location:Between Goulden Avenue and Paul Avenue
Honoree: This co-naming honors the Bronx High School of Science, which has been located on this block since 1959. Founded in 1938, the school has consistently ranked as one of the top high schools in the United States. Its alumni include eight Nobel Prize winners. (Cohen)
Bronx Walk of Fame Way (Bronx)
Present name:Grand Concourse
Location:Between East 150th and East 161st Streets.
Honoree: This 1997 designation was part of the 25th anniversary of Bronx Week. The Walk of Fame features medallions, hung from lampposts, commemorating famous Bronxites.
Burton Schoenbach Way (Bronx)
Location:At the intersection of Creston Avenue and Fordham Road
Honoree: Burton Schoenbach (1929-2015), a textile executive, served on numerous state boards and commissions but was primarily known as an advocate for prison reform. As a member of an investigative commission set up in the aftermath of the 1971 Attica tragedy, he was outspoken about the need to improve prison conditions. He exposed corruption and misconduct of guards in their treatment of inmates. He was on the board of the Urban Economic Development Corporation; a member of the NYS Police Trooper Foundation Advisory Committee; and chairperson of the Federal Bureau of Prisons Half-Way House for the United States Southern District of New York. He notably created a program using inmate labor to build a community center, a first in New York State. He was recognized by the New York State Senate for 30 years of service to the State. (Cabrera)
Contact | © 2005-2019 by Gilbert Tauber