NYC Honorary Street Names
"O" Honorary Streets: Brooklyn
Officer Timothy M. Hurley Way (Brooklyn)
Present name:Pine Street
Location:Between Euclid Avenue and Crescent Street
Honoree: Police Officer Timothy M. Hurley (1941-1974) joined the NYPD in 1968 and was assigned to the 103rd Precinct. On March 9, 1974, while present at a robbery in progress at a bar, Officer Hurley was in a gunfight with the perpetrators and was fatally shot while attempting to apprehend them.
Oratory Place (Brooklyn)
Present name:Duffield Street
Location:Between Willoughby Street and Myrtle Avenue
Honoree: The Church of St. Boniface, built by German immigrants in the 1870s, is located on this block. In 1990 it became the home of the Brooklyn Oratory of St. Philip Neri. The Oratory is a Catholic congregation of clergy and laity with a particular commitment to urban areas. It hosts numerous community based programs.
Our Lady of Angels Way (Brooklyn)
Location:At the southwest corner of 4th Avenue and 73rd Street
Honoree: This co-naming marked the 125th annversary of Our Lady of Angels Roman Catholic Church. The parish was established in 1891, holding its first services in a firehouse. The first church buiding was dedicted two years later. The present church building was completed in 1929. (Gentile)
Our Lady of Czestochowa Place (Brooklyn)
Present name:24th Street
Location:Bounded by 3rd and 4th Avenues.
Honoree: This naming honored the centennial of the Roman Catholic Parish of Our Lady of Czestochowa. The parish was established by the Rt. Rev. Msgr Boleslaus Puchalski in 1896 to serve Polish immigrants. Construction of the present Gothic-style church began in 1904, after the original frame church was destroyed by fire.
Contact | © 2005-2017 by Gilbert Tauber