NYC Honorary Street Names

Hudson

Hudson Blvd. (Brooklyn)
Present name:Covert Street
Location:Between Bushwick Avenue and Broadway
Honoree: Bishop Zenopha Socrates Hudson (1913-1988) received his Doctorate of Sacred Theology from Trinity Hall Bible College. He was the Jurisdictional Bishop of Belize in Central America. Bishop Z.S. Hudson also developed and ran many successful businesses that included three hotels in the Catskills. His son, Bishop Arnold Hudson (b. 1936) is also commemorated in this street co-naming.
LL:2005/43
Hudson Guild Place (Manhattan)
Present name:W 26th St
Location:Between Ninth and Tenth Avenues.
Honoree: This naming marked the centenary of the Hudson Guild, which was founded in 1895 by John Lovejoy Elliott. It is the only settlement house in Chelsea. Its offshoots include the Hudson Guild Theater and the Joe and Emily Lowe Gallery. Since 1917 the Guild has also operated the 550-acre Hudson Guild Farm in Netcong NJ, which provides vacation and summer camp activities, retreats and conferences.
LL:1995/65


Contact | © 2005-2022 by Gilbert Tauber